2900 Float & Tape Transmitter
The 2900 Float & Tape Transmitter (FTT) is a precision, digital instrument designed to mount directly to most manufacturers' mechanical tank gauges. The 2900 FTT utilizes an absolute optical encoder to accurately convert and encode the mechanical level measurement from the connected tank gauge. It then transmits level and temperature data - via industry standard communications - to the control room for use in inventory management volumetric calculations. The 2900 FTT is also able to integrate a spot temperature sensor and provide cam-operated switches for the indication of alarms or relays to prevent overfills.
- Easy installation - Mounts directly to most mechanical tank gauges, including Varec, GSI, L&J and Sakura
- Digital Communications - Mark/Space, EIA-485 MODBUS, Tankway (L&J)
- Minimal service or repair with no parts to wear out - absolute encoder utilizes infrared optics and precision direct-drive gearing transmits accurate level reading to the control room
- First steps to complete inventory management - Integrate temperature measurement at the control room for volumetric calculations with an on-board 3-wire RTD temperature input
- Automation and control - Activate alarms or relays with 2 discrete inputs as standard and an optional 2 inputs and 4 contact outputs
- Select a standard 20-65 VDC or an optional 40-240 VAC on-board power supply
- FM, and cFM approved for use in hazardous areas
- Contact Varec for ATEX or IECEx approved devices
- IP65, NEMA Type 4 enclosure rating
The universal mounting allows direct replacement of Varec 1800/1900, L&J 2000 or GSI 2000/2400 transmitters. When replacing other third-party devices, an optional adaptor is available. When replacing an existing transmitter, you may be able to utilize the existing power, communications conduit and junction boxes.
You are also able to keep your existing Varec 1900 housing and maintain your safety approval. A complete 2900 FTT electronics assembly includes the encoder and printed circuit board (PCB), which can be snapped in, screwed down and ready to configure in less than 5 minutes.
First Steps to Automation and Control
The 2900 FTT also provides the first steps to automation and control. It can activate alarms or relays using discrete inputs, SPDT cam-operated outputs and software-driven contact outputs.
Many transmitters on the market today require the additional use of a handheld device for configuration or set up; the 2900 FTT does not require a handheld device. Each parameter, such as communications, baud rate, unit address, etc. is easily configured using rotary switches on the main PCB.
No Re-calibration Required
There is no re-calibration required after a power outage as the absolute encoder continues to track the correct level. The galvanically-isolated power supply and optically-isolated communications means one transmitter will not ‘take down’ the entire tank gauging field bus loop. If advanced configuration and diagnostics are required, the technician is able to connect a laptop to the transmitter via the serial port (RS-232) on the main PCB.
Trouble-free Service Life
At Varec, we believe preventive maintenance is key to ensuring continued operation of any instrument. However, the precision components and quality of manufacture means the 2900 FTT requires almost no maintenance and reduces the number of times your technicians are out in the field. Optical sensors means no brushes or contacts that wear out. The IP65/NEMA 4 approved housing will keep moisture and dirt from attacking the electronics for many years.
The 2900 FTT direct gearing is made from high-grade stainless steel components that will provide a smooth, precise and trouble-free service life. The primary absolute encoder utilizes gold-plated, reflective optical discs with reference tracks to provide self-calibration and an accuracy check of every measurement. This combination of quality components and innovation is not available in any other transmitter on the market today.
- No housing required (electronics upgrade only)
- Housing included (complete unit)
- 20 - 65 VDC (includes 2 additional discrete inputs & 4 output contacts)
- 40 - 240 VAC
- EIA-485 MODBUS/GSI Type MODBUS
- Tankway (L&J)
- No additional inputs/outputs
- Two (2) additional discrete inputs and four (4) output contacts - AC powered transmitter
- Two (2) additional discrete inputs and four (4) output contacts - DC powered transmitter
- No additional limit switches
- Two (2) SPDT - Normally open limit switches
- Four (4) SPDT - Normally open limit switches